Earning the UPT Sigma Tandem rating is a 3 step process.
- The UPT Tandem course with 5 course jumps under supervision of a UPT Examiner.
- 5 Tandem jumps with an experienced jumper. We offer the option of making the phase 2 jumps with SkydiveRatings staff for continuous education. We developed a special program to further build your confidence and skill as a tandem instructor. This program is optional
- The probationary period, where you can take actual passengers, but are on probation until you have a total of 25 tandem jumps. At that point the rating will get issued by UPT.
- 18 years of age
- at least 500 ram-air jumps
- 3 years in the sport
- USPA D-license or foreign equivalent
- Hold an instructional rating
- Hold an FAA class 3 medical certificate or foreign equivalent
The Sigma Manual is the course book. It is recommended to print the manual from United Parachute Technologies web-site prior to the course orbring your laptop or tablet. We want you to make the Sigma Tandem exam at home prior to the course. Just let us know that you need the test questions and we will send you the documents and a link to the manuals. Please write the answers on a sheet of paper and bring them to the course. Any questions you don’t know the answers to can be left open. If you need a Vector Tandem rating as well let us know. In that case you have to make the Vector exam in addition.
We will be happy to send you the exam questions
The tandem rating course will take 2 up to 3 days (weather permitting). The course consists of one day of classroom with lots of practical training and correction of the written exams. There are 5 jumps in the course. One solo jump with the Sigma rig, One where you are the passenger and three evaluation jumps where you are the Tandem Instructor.
Before you make the Instructor jumps you will get a test of the procedures and malfunctions in the hanging Tandem harness.
Please bring copies to class of:
- USPA membership card with D-license number and Coach or Instructor rating endorsement
- Copy of a current FAA class 3 medical certificate
- logbooks showing 500 jumps and 3 years in the sport
For the course jumps you will need:
- Baggy jumpsuit
- Open face helmet or leather hat
- If you own one please bring your audible
If you already possess a current Tandem Instructor rating from another manufacturer you can get crossed over to the Vector/Sigma rating.
To qualify for cross-training you must:
- Hold a current Tandem rating from another approved manufacturer
- Show documentation of at least 25 jumps on this system (UPT needs copies of logbook entries)
- Meet all the requirements of the initial UPT tandem course (see above)
The course books is the the Sigma Tandem manual from UPT. It is available on UPT’s web-site. To pass the course you must make the Sigma Tandem written exam.We want you to make the tests at home, write the answers on a sheet of paper and bring them to the course.
You need to bring copies of:
- Current tandem rating
- Logbook entries with 25 tandem jumps
- FAA class 3 medical certificate
- USPA membership card with D-license number and Instructional rating endorsement
The course consists of some classroom and a minimum of 2 evaluation jumps. The Vector and Sigma tandem written exams will be corrected during the course before the jumps begin.